[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Obsoleting abrowse

From: David Allouche
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Obsoleting abrowse
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 14:53:52 +0200

On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 09:24 +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> > Now if you did "A.*bazaar.*" that would be something different, because
> > you don't have an anchor point for where bazaar must occur.
>
> That's forbidden. It would lead to awfully complex implementation, and
> the semantics could hardly be clear.

It would certainly be useful too look for things like "all xtla branches
in my registered archives". But that can definitely wait for a later
iteration.

Also, there was some talking in recent Canonical sprints about this kind
of feature, but involving communication with a remote directory service
like the super-mirror. So that's another reason for delaying the
implementation of such a feature.

> Not following bazaar-ng closely, but
>
>   http://bazaar-ng.org/doc/todo-from-arch.html
>   Archive names are probably unnecessary.
>
> (I'm not sure I really agree with this. I like being able to name an
> archive by its name. It's particularly important when you have several
> mirrors of the same archive, or when you access an archive differently
> depending on the machine you're using.)

The "several mirrors of the same archive" question is tricky in baz-ng
as the model does not have the same built-in concept of a mirror as Arch
does. It does not even have the concept of an archive...

Though I have not been following bzr for several weeks, I fully expect a
directory feature to emerge to address issues of local mirroring and
nicknaming branches.

I hope to have more time in the next weeks to pay due attention to the
bzr developments.
--
                                                            -- ddaa