Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Obsoleting abrowse

From: Mikhael Goikhman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Obsoleting abrowse
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:38:11 +0000

On 30 Jul 2005 11:06:29 +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:

> Mikhael Goikhman <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I will miss abrowse. I think it is good to have a command operating on
> > the exact limit, rbrowse does not do this task very well.

[...]

> > Or maybe add --regexp to "abrowse"
>
> Here's my proposal:
>
> 1) Add --id-regexp (we already have --patch-regexp to filter on the
>    summary field) to rbrowse, make the exact search the default.

I don't like these option names, they don't mean much to me.
How about --regexp and --match-summary? (Or is it --match-desc?)

Actually, if you use a full featured glob library (that supports four
things, like: project-*, 1.1.?, some{one,body}, b[iu]g), then I would
prefer to see globs and not regexps. It may even be the default probably,
since glob mata-chars are either invalid or rare in the namespace.
Just please add --no-glob option if you make globs/regexps the default.

The important thing it is not a substring search by default, like in the
current rbrowse, i.e. there is "^$" added to the given limit/regexp/glob.

If you want to remove "abrowse", does this mean you remove these options
(that we use in the frontends) without providing alternatives:

  --categories, --branches, --versions

    these are needed to greately speed up the output and not needlesly
    traverse revision (patch-log) directories

  --since, --omit-empty (rbrowse contains the first, but not the second?)

    these are needed to implement an efficient commit notification
    system, like "axp triggers"

  --desc, --kind, --full (missing in rbrowse)

  --reverse, --summary, --date, --creator (long versions are missing)

Please post "browse --help" output, when different from "abrowse".

Regards,
Mikhael.