Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [HEY TOM!] unhelpful error for unreadable direc

From: tomas
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [HEY TOM!] unhelpful error for unreadable directories
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:30:46 +0200

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 05:17:20PM +0200, Nikolai Weibull wrote:
> * Tom Lord <address@hidden> [Apr 26, 2004 17:00]:
> > In fact, it's just the opposite.   We've reached agreement.
>
> I don't want to ruin this now, but how about putting file and directory
> names within quotes, like `%s' as many other GNU utilities do?  [...]

Nits about backticks and accents aside, it's still a good idea to
delimit the filename (or any other string coming from outside).

Leading and trailing whitespace is more visible this way.

And if the convention is backtick and quote -- well, why not?
Who cares whether it comes from TeX or TROFF ;-)

ASCII doesn't offer better. I wouldn't mind real single quotes
whenever we know we are Unicode...

regards
-- tomás