[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: [HEY TOM!] unhelpful error for unreadable direc

From: Nikolai Weibull
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: [HEY TOM!] unhelpful error for unreadable directories
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 22:13:47 +0200

* Andrew Suffield <address@hidden> [Apr 26, 2004 20:50]:
> > I don't want to ruin this now, but how about putting file and
> > directory names within quotes, like `%s' as many other GNU utilities
> > do?  It makes it easier, at least I find it to be true, to visually
> > separate out the important information and also makes for prettier
> > output overall.

> ` is a backtick, not a quote. Stop abusing it as a quote. That only
> works in tex, not C.

I wrote the stuff in the P.S. first, but then figured that you probably
just scanned my mail and didn't really understand what I was getting at.
See my P.S. for further discussion if that wasn't the case.

What I mean is, make the format string

"Error encountered checking for nested project trees in `%s':\n"
"%s accessing `%s'\n", directory, errno_to_string (errn), file

Do you see what I mean?  Use `...' to delimit the
"interesting information" of the error message, so that a user can
quickly see what directory and file caused the problem.
        nikolai

P.S.
First of all, this is the quoting that most GNU utilities use.
Second, I know the semantic distinction in /bin/sh between ' and ` -
that doesn't really apply here now does it?  C doesn't use ` for quoting
strings, that is correct, but who is stopping you from putting them
inside a C string?
Third, some fonts will display a single quote (') tilted slightly
forward, which makes for a pretty display, terminating a previous
backtick (`).
Forth, if you have a problem using ` and thus (in part) hindering you
from being more like other GNU software, then use single quotes (')
instead, still, delimiting the file and directory name may still be a
valid idea/criticism.
D.S.

::: page: www.pcppopper.org  :: fun atm: gf,lps,ruby,lisp,war3 :::