Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [HEY TOM!] unhelpful error for unreadable direc

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [HEY TOM!] unhelpful error for unreadable directories
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:35:45 +0900

    Andrew> ("backtick" and "grave accent" are more or less
    Andrew> synonymous; the latter is the name in formal typography, I
    Andrew> think, while the former is colloquial)

U+0060 is not a combining character (although it is a composite
character according to Unicode), while accents normally are.  Note
that usually "tick" in this sense is essentially equivalent to the
mathematical use of "prime" as a modifying character, and Unicode also
has several versions of primes, including reverse primes (ie,
backticks).  :-(

I don't think there's any way to make sense of the situation,[1]
especially given the very asymmetrical way acute accent (apostrophe)
is treated, except to say that with the usual fonts using backtick for
open single quote is committing the Capital Crime of Butt-Ugliness,
and those doing so should be enclosed in a Sisyphus Loop and summarily
executed (preferably slowly, on a '286 or older CPU).

Footnotes:
[1]  I mean Unicode; for hackerlab, not only does Tom's suggestion for
the human-readable error messages neatly sidestep the religious
issues, it has minor but real advantages in actual use.