[Gnu-arch-users] Re: implicit discussion

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: implicit discussion
Date: 16 Apr 2004 18:27:56 +0900

Johannes Berg <address@hidden> writes:
> Bah. I hate it when people say that. For the record, I'm doing all
> development (even tla/win32) on a box with 20GB. This stuff is a
> significant overhead for me, especially if I want to use a revision
> library (and really, I need to, pristines even larger)

Heh, me too -- my disk is `only' 4.5 GB...

Not that I can't afford a new one if I scrimp for a bit (a week? :-),
it's just a hassle to do all the related stuff (e.g., my disk interface
is 50-pin SCSI, and the last time I looked, it was actually hard to find
these drives!  So I might have to think about buying a new interface,
make sure my kernel works, etc, etc).

I presume there are other people who are less able than me, financially
or otherwise, to upgrade their system, so while the "everything's
getting faster and bigger" argument is more or less correct, it's pretty
annoying to see it always used so glibly.  It's a bit like economic
arguments where what's being advocated probably _is_ the best thing in
the long run, but 7 zillion people will starve to death in the meantime.
The price of progress?  Chopped liver?

I could also convert to reiserfs, but the only sane way to do that is
probably to buy a new disk and copy everything over!

-Miles
--
Would you like fries with that?