[Gnu-arch-users] Re: implicit discussion

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: implicit discussion
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:09:02 -0400

Miles Bader wrote:

Well there are different sorts of compability; the most important would
be preserved -- old archives would still work.  The decision of when to
break compatibility with old version of tla itself would then properly
be where it belongs, with the archive owner.

Well, Tom's against breaking archive compatibility without strong reasons, and I tend to agree. To my mind, one compelling reason to break compatibility would be efficient binary file diffs. But I don't want to require people to upgrade tla in order to read our archives. Not unless the payoff is worth it.

Aaron