[Gnu-arch-users] Re: implicit discussion

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: implicit discussion
Date: 16 Apr 2004 11:55:52 -0400

> So the tree by itself uses about 226252kB, and adding explicit ids
> consumes another 68912kB, which is a remarkably large amount.  On the
> other hand, it is only 0.1% of my very ordinary 70GB disk, so I don't
> think it matters very much.

If your disk space is mostly used for work on projects using Arch, then
that's not 0.1% but 30% of your disk space.  Furthermore, it means that when
working on a project using such Arch id files, those little thingies eat up
30% of your disk bandwidth, and probably even more then that in latency.

I don't care much about disk space either, but disk access times are what
kills performance in the most effective way...

        Stefan