[Gnu-arch-users] Re: implicit discussion

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: implicit discussion
Date: 09 Apr 2004 15:37:47 +0900

Colin Walters <address@hidden> writes:
> I added a little flame about implicit tagging to the wiki:
> http://wiki.gnuarch.org/moin.cgi/ID_2dtagging_20methods
>
> I just thought I'd give implicit proponents a chance to respond :)

By "implicit", I assume you mean "tagline".

You know you that `tla mv' works with taglines too, right?

[and of course you can also just always `mv' always and then use a tool
like `tla-update-ids' before committing.]

You're gonna get occasional annoyances no matter _which_ method you use,
so the question is not `Which one is perfect?' (none of them are), but
`Which one is the least annoying?'.  From my personal experience I'd say
that tagline is definitely the least problematic.

If your tree is chock-full of binary files which you keep moving around,
I guess you're going to have get in the habit of using `tla mv' (or some
other tool), but taglines don't cramp that style.  Might as well use
taglines anyway for their other benefits.

-Miles
--
80% of success is just showing up.  --Woody Allen