Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Managing changes to projects that use autoconf/auto

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Managing changes to projects that use autoconf/automake with tla
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 22:29:17 -0400

On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 11:04, Tom Lord wrote:

> That has _already_been_done_ for a subset of c/b/i tools.  For
> example, Python and Perl both have standard install processes defined
> by tools that ship with Python and Perl.

Yeah, but they can depend on Python or Perl.  These are much better
languages for writing c/b/i tools than POSIX make and POSIX shell, which
are the least common denominator among Unix systems.

I don't see how you could create fundamentally better tools without
giving up on make and sh.  And once you do that, you're not solving the
same problem that autoconf/automake are.