[Gnu-arch-users] version aliases

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] version aliases
Date: 05 Apr 2004 00:06:30 -0400

I'm sure this has been brought before, but I think it's worth thinking
about it some more: tla should offer some way to refer to specific versions
using shorthands.

In my most important use case, it seems important that such aliases not be
user-global but be per-project, so I can refer to the `main' branch
and have it refer to the main Emacs branch when I'm in an Emacs tree
and to the main Tla branch when I'm in a Tla tree.
So they should probably be stored somewhere under {arch}.

The main use is for things like

    tla changes main

to get the changes w.r.t some `main' branch.  Or

    tla star-merge --three-way miles

to merge changes from miles's branch.  Fancy completion makes the long
names just bearable, but it only works when I run those things from
a properly configured shell, but not when I have to enter those names
in a VC prompt for example.

        Stefan