Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal --f

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal --fix]
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 17:13:15 -0800

On Apr 1, 2004, at 17:06, Aaron Bentley wrote:

I think part of the problem is just the size of the data set that has to be moved around to figure out what the next patch number is (especially over a network). It might be easier if the tree weren't so flat.

Hmm. Assume each listing at 80 bytes, and 10,000 patches, and that's 800k of directory listings. Sheesh. But there's an obvious optimization: I have patch-10000; does patch-10001 exist? no? version-0? no? Okay, patch-10001 it is.

My problem could've been related to the WebDAV problems I was having. Perhaps I should look again.

I'm going to stop now before I start suggesting more directory structure changes. :)

Oh, like a LATEST-REVISION file? Yeah, you could be hanged for that. :-)

        Oh, no, not that.  I was just thinking about nesting more directories.

Alright, I've got some validation to do to see if I still have any issues related to the number of patches. I've got an 11 kilopatch tree I can experiment with. :)

--
Dustin Sallings