Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal --f

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal --fix]
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2004 20:06:16 -0500

Dustin Sallings wrote:

I've got them in the thousands. They get slower as you add patches. I've done old CVS imports from trees that have taken many, many hours. Each patch takes a little bit longer than the previous. I have a tree I'd like to import that cscvs reports as being 11,324 changesets. I haven't bothered trying to import it yet out of fear. :)

I *generally* use arch via webdav, though. I'm sure if I go to import this thing, I'll do it on a local disk.

Yeah, my archives are usually on a local NFS server.  Works fine so far.

It was getting to the point where a commit in such a tree simply took a long time.

Okay, I've noticed this over remote 100k connections.

I think part of the problem is just the size of the data set that has to be moved around to figure out what the next patch number is (especially over a network). It might be easier if the tree weren't so flat.

Hmm. Assume each listing at 80 bytes, and 10,000 patches, and that's 800k of directory listings. Sheesh. But there's an obvious optimization: I have patch-10000; does patch-10001 exist? no? version-0? no? Okay, patch-10001 it is.

I'm going to stop now before I start suggesting more directory structure changes. :)

Oh, like a LATEST-REVISION file?  Yeah, you could be hanged for that. :-)

Aaron