Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal --f

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Working out a branching scheme [was: tag --seal --fix]
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 16:41:01 -0800

On Apr 1, 2004, at 15:58, Aaron Bentley wrote:

What kind of inefficiencies are you seeing? I've got 100+ revisions in my devel branch at work, and 50+ revisions in the backbuilder, and I haven't seen anything bad. Am I just not going big enough, or am I missing symptoms?

I've got them in the thousands. They get slower as you add patches. I've done old CVS imports from trees that have taken many, many hours. Each patch takes a little bit longer than the previous. I have a tree I'd like to import that cscvs reports as being 11,324 changesets. I haven't bothered trying to import it yet out of fear. :)

I *generally* use arch via webdav, though. I'm sure if I go to import this thing, I'll do it on a local disk.

It was getting to the point where a commit in such a tree simply took a long time.

I think part of the problem is just the size of the data set that has to be moved around to figure out what the next patch number is (especially over a network). It might be easier if the tree weren't so flat.

I'm going to stop now before I start suggesting more directory structure changes. :)

--
Dustin Sallings