Re: [Gnu-arch-users] New feature at the mirror + request for help

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] New feature at the mirror + request for help
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:02:28 -0800 (PST)

    > From: James Blackwell <address@hidden>

    > With all the difficulty I've seen keeping Tom fed, I'm not
    > encouraged that the arch community is going to come forth and
    > donate the money to buy three hard drives for a raid 5 when the
    > supermirror starts to run out of space.

But you're also predicting, and so am I, a spike in usage.   It's
public knowledge on the list that we're seeing the first little pops
of commercial (paying) interest in arch.

The optimistic view here is that the same deployment increase that's
going to cause you problems is also going to generate more corporate
spending on arch, thus creating ample opportunity to solve both my
problems staying fed and your problems running the supermirror as
something other than a generous contribution to the community.

    > As such, I'm trying to stick to things that I can do for a really long
    > time without putting more money into it, in hopes that I can pass enough
    > time to get more hardware.

Not a bad rule of thumb, anyway, for now.