Re: [Gnu-arch-users] New feature at the mirror + request for help

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] New feature at the mirror + request for help
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:04:09 +0100

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 03:23:59 -0500, James Blackwell wrote:
> > A python module exists. It should be quite easy to add that. And,
> > really, it's probably faster in python even with the exec.
> >
> > That is, I was able to find comparsion showing that perl is a hell lot
> > faster than php. But python is slower that php. I have not seen a direct
> > comparison between python and php. However, I believe that python is not
> > THAT slow as php.
> >
> The wiki (written in python) already spikes the system load for about ten
> minutes while somebody spiders it.

Generaly, for php, python and perl, run-time is dominated by
startup-time. Python can somewhat reduce this using the pre-compiled
bytecode. However, using mod_python should be a big improvement anyway.

Since I can't find direct comparsion of python and php on the net,
I can't tell you which is actualy faster once they both have modules
loaded in the server.

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>