Re: [Gnu-arch-users] New feature at the mirror + request for help

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] New feature at the mirror + request for help
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 02:01:28 -0500

> > No, I still don't have an arch browser yet. All of them seem to have an
> > achilles heel -- they either require a revision library or require building
> > a cache. While I haven't tried anything that requires building a cache, I
> > can tell you that building a library of all archives is basically already
> > too big a job for SC.

[deleted quote that I was looking for something in php]

> When it comes to the matter of ViewARCH, cache generation is optional.
> Even if you don't execute gencache.py, rest of the stuffs are still available.
How big is the cache? Is it as bad as having a revision library? back when
there were about 60 archives, I tried generating a revision library of
everything. Not only was this not possible (missing archives, older,
corrupt libraries), but it took over 2 hours to run and took 40 gigabytes
of space. These days I have over 160 archives.

I also believe that ViewARCH is written in python. That means I'd have to
run it as a cgi, which in turn would require an exec. As such, I'm holding
out for something written in php because I have a php module for apache.

I'll give ViewARCH credit for one thing: It works good with lynx!

--
James Blackwell      Using I.T. to bring more             570-407-0488
Owner, Inframix      business to your business     http://inframix.com