Re: [Gnu-arch-users] New feature at the mirror + request for help

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] New feature at the mirror + request for help
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:00:44 -0500

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

Have these guys solved the problems that are pointed out in papers
like "Why Gnutella Can't Scale.  No, Really"?
http://www.darkridge.com/~jpr5/doc/gnutella.html

Those problems don't apply, because bittorrent doesn't provide search or naming services.

And don't say "it's just a directory information service".  Some of
the guys I work with (not economists; it's a weird department) do
cell-phone network theory (and occasionally, practice).  At least in
that environment, you run into the same kind of problem (basically,
ping storms trying to find a server) just running a directory service.
I don't know enough to know if that is worrisome on the Internet at
the scales we're talking about.