Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 07:46:54 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>

    > Unrelated: why does tla use

    >     emacs/emacs--cvs-trunk/emacs--cvs-trunk--0

    > rather than

    >     emacs/cvs-trunk-/0-

    > where the terminal `-' is just there for the case where the branch or
    > version is the empty string (some other trick could be used, obviously,
    > e.g. not add anything but replace the empty string with `=').

You really want to know?  I vaguely recall starting it off along those
lines but changing it after hours or days because the current format
was easier to navigate around while debugging. (Getting the archive
transactions working was one of the first big tasks.)

    > Also why is it

    >     {arch}/emacs/emacs--cvs-trunk/emacs--cvs-trunk--0/address@hidden/

    > rather than the more "intuitive" (to me anyway)

    >     {arch}/address@hidden/emacs/emacs--cvs-trunk/emacs--cvs-trunk--0/

    > Inquiring minds...

The archive comes last, rather than first, in order to provide better
locality of reference, both for interactive perusal and (to a lesser
extent) for programmatic access.  You'll tend to want to look at logs
for multiple archives, holding the version constant, more often than
you'll want to hold the archive constant and vary components of the
version.

Neither of these details are justified by an unassailable rationale
but then I think the design choice in these areas is fairly arbitrary,
anyway.  It's kind of a "just pick something and stick with it"
situation.