Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Losing information in *.rej

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Losing information in *.rej
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 07:55:09 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>

    > I think tla should be more careful to refuse to
    > commit/update/replay/merge a file if it still has an associated
    > .rej.  Or at least should make it difficult (i.e. reuse to do it
    > unless the user provides a --force flag).

That presumes that you will not normally _want_ to commit a .rej
file.  It's a good presumption for today's common case but I can
imagine the situation being different in the future.

But can't you accomplish the same goal, on a per-project basis,
already?

For example, define an `unrecognized' regexp that matches these
files.   Then tree-lint will report errors and commits will be aborted
if such files are present.   Indeed -- I think I'll do that for some
of my own trees, now that you've brought it up.

    > If you like the current behavior, than instead of a --force, you
    > could add an --idiot-safety-belt flag.

I think the ability to define an `unrecognized' regexp already
provides enough mechanism here.    After I get some experience using
it for this, perhaps I'll change the default =tagging-method.