Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Current Status (and Wiki Performance)

From: dww
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Current Status (and Wiki Performance)
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 10:23:51 -0500

> MIRRORLOCAL is the path to the upstream mirror on your hard drive.
> MIRROR is the same repo, but then as an HTTP path.

Why then is MIRROR needed? If the repository is created and updated on
the same machine as MIRRORLOCAL and then pushed to a public mirror
cannot the script that does the update use MIRRORLOCAL directly as the
path to the source and binaries? How is the http link defined in MIRROR
linked to the file system location in MIRRORLOCAL?  In general where in
the process is MIRRORLOCAL or MIRROR used? What is the useful purpose of
MIRROR?

> 9. Make your repo public (all the previous steps happened in folders
> that the outside world doesn't see).

Step 9 refers to publishing or pushing the repo to "your mirror".
Looking at push-repo this appears to be the location configured in
RSYNC_DEST.  In the case of Dunsink where do you think RSYNC_DEST will
point to? Will it be some public location at Savannah or a gNewSense
server?  Who uses this final mirror location?

So if I understand the process, MIRRORLOCAL, MIRROR are created on the
machine of the person doing the update. Creates and updates the
repository on their machine then pushes the result to the location
defined in RSYNC_DEST.  Is this correct?  This is why I do not
understand the purpose of MIRROR.

Where does pbuilder come into play in this process or is that a Ubuntu
wrapper around the builder process?