Re: Summary: [Fsfe-uk] TV show about copyright, the Internet and DRM

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: Summary: [Fsfe-uk] TV show about copyright, the Internet and DRM
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 07:27:04 +0100

Jason Clifford <address@hidden>
> On Fri, 5 May 2006, MJ Ray wrote:
> > coverage, even in the tabloid newspapers, technological protection
> > measures (TPM, or MTP in French) seems to be used a lot. [...]
>
> Why continue to us the word "protection". By doing so you are granting the
> central plank of their case to those who want more restrictive copyright
> powers.

I don't see protectionism as a good thing and I doubt many do.
Surely no WIPO-fearing government can support protectionist laws?
So, I'm quite happy to label these bad things as protection.

> Surely the real description for DRM is "Restriction" Perhaps a better term
> would be Technical Restriction Measures. This more properly describes the
> fact that these measures seek to restrict the rights of consumers and
> others to the goods they have bought.

Rights, consumers, goods, bought... all controversies, depending
what you're applying them to.  Debates I don't want to have now.

Personally, I see this as about control of our electronic devices.
I'd prefer to call it what it is and name it "copy-control"
but each time I do that, I seem to get shot down in flames (most
recently during the APIG response discussions IIRC).

Hope that explains,
--
MJ Ray - personal email, see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Work: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/  irc.oftc.net/slef  Jabber/SIP ask