Re: [Fsfe-uk] DRM, TPM, or what? was: TV show about copyright, the Inter

From: Dave
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] DRM, TPM, or what? was: TV show about copyright, the Internet and DRM
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 12:40:47 +0100

On 10/05/06, Alex Hudson <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 07:27 +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> including file permissions, doesn't it?</p>

Thankfully it doesn't forbid it :)

The language is "You may not use technical measures to obstruct or
control the reading or further copying of the copies you make or
distribute" - my file permissions don't affect the reading or further
copying of other people's copies, and the GFDL doesn't entitle people to
access to my copies.

'copies you make' sounds like it applies to the copy you have say in
~/private/docs/ and so chmod 600'ing that file obstructs or controls
the reading or further copying of that copy by other users logging
into that machine.

If it was 'make AND distribute', your reasoning makes sense, but 'or'
seems pernicious...

But you know this because we've already had this argument.

Forgive my newbieness, I've not heard this before :-)

--
Regards,
Dave