[Fsfe-uk] DRM, TPM, or what? was: TV show about copyright, the Internet

From: MJ Ray
Subject: [Fsfe-uk] DRM, TPM, or what? was: TV show about copyright, the Internet and DRM
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 12:08:22 +0100

I still don't agree with trying to rebrand DRM as restrictions,
as it's an outright lie for some sorts of DRM and that gives
opponents a quick way to discredit us.

I'm still fairly happy with protectionism and while I don't
think governments should be WIPO-fearing, they claim to be,
so it's nearly language judo. Probably protection/-ism is
too loaded for general use, though, while copy-control is too
narrow. I thought about "what is the main problem?" again. It
is about control, but that's an awkward one to use.

What about Technological Prevention Measures? I'd really like
to use TPM, as almost every use I've seen has been in the
"this hurts consumers" sense.

Is there any good information on +ve/-ve words?

--
MJ Ray - personal email, see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html
Work: http://www.ttllp.co.uk/  irc.oftc.net/slef  Jabber/SIP ask