Re: [Fsfe-uk] DRM, TPM, or what? was: TV show about copyright, the Inter

From: Shane M. Coughlan
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] DRM, TPM, or what? was: TV show about copyright, the Internet and DRM
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 14:17:55 +0100

MJ Ray wrote:
> I still don't agree with trying to rebrand DRM as restrictions,
> as it's an outright lie for some sorts of DRM and that gives
> opponents a quick way to discredit us.

It's a bit negative, and it potentially disassociates us from positive
and attractive DRM (like Ciaran's signed binaries to prevent malicious
code execution).

[snip]
> What about Technological Prevention Measures? I'd really like
> to use TPM, as almost every use I've seen has been in the
> "this hurts consumers" sense.

Well...the thing is that DRM is about both prevention (you cannot access
or share this file) and empowerment (you can access this file).  I
actually think DRM (Digital Rights Management) is a pretty good term.
If it was not hijacked by people making rootkits (*cough* Sony *cough*)
it'd work pretty well.  DRM is about having a certain security policy
applied to certain files. It's an access control system (ACS?), an
access authentication system (AAS?)...it's even a policy control system
(PCS?).

Disclaimer: I know most aspects of DRM are about *not* allowing certain
things to happen, but we should not discount positive access rights.  If
I have a document about my financial details, and I want to share it
with Bob the stockbroker, I should be able to apply a certain DRM
measure that means (a) he can read it and (b) no one else can.

I usually call this DRM measure my handy public key encryption.  It
existed before the hype of DRM, and I am guessing OpenPGP stuff will
exist after.

Shane

- --
Shane Martin Coughlan