[Freetype] Tahoma sub-pixel off in 2.1.4 and CVS?

From: Kaya
Subject: [Freetype] Tahoma sub-pixel off in 2.1.4 and CVS?
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 22:40:50 -0800

Hello,

I've noticed that Tahoma renders badly under my particular setup as
compared to Windows (XFree86 4.3.0, FreeType 2.1.4 and FreeType CVS,
fully hinted, bytecode interpreter enabled, RGB sub-pixel).

A comparison graphic is available here:

http://kayalabs.com/images/tahoma.png

The text in the first column is not antialiased; note that rendering is
identical with Windows XP and with FreeType.  The text in the right column
was rendered using ClearType on Windows XP and sub-pixel rendering with
FreeType.

In general I prefer FreeType's version to ClearType; however, there are
some problems.  My biggest issues are with 'A' and 'S'; 'A' is too bold
and 'S' is horizontally splotchy in the center.  '2' and 'K' contain
diagonals which are too thin, and 'a' and 'w' are particularly noisy as
well.

I'd include a screenshot from CVS, but rendering there broken in other
ways, and I fear it will confuse the issue.  Rest assured the flaws are
still there.

Should I file a bug, or is this a known issue?  A configuration
problem?  Can I, or should I, tune any sub-pixel parameters?

Any information given would be greately appreciated,

Kaya