Re: [Freetype] Tahoma sub-pixel off in 2.1.4 and CVS?

From: Keith Packard
Subject: Re: [Freetype] Tahoma sub-pixel off in 2.1.4 and CVS?
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 15:47:54 +0100

Around 8 o'clock on Feb 20, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > I guess our tastes differ, then.  Your rendering is identical to mine.
> > The chroma-noisy 'a' and 'w', the thin diagonals of the 'K' and the fat
> > 'A' are all peeves to me - especially when compared to the ClearType
> > version, which is not as black, but is otherwise superior IMHO.
> >
> > I guess subpixel rendering is a black art!
>
> I believe that it really depends on the used filters.

Variation in stroke width is not affected by the filtering, which should
uniformly affect all aspects of the output.  All the filtering does is
trade spatial resolution and chromatic aberations.  The current filters
used in Xft are empirically chosen; I was constrained by a strong desire
to keep the filter entirely intra-pixel, which rather limits the filter
construction more than one would strictly like.

To see if the problem really is in the sub-pixel code, you can simply
scale the font horizontally by a factor of three and disable sub-pixel
rendering.

-keith