RE: [Freetype] Tahoma sub-pixel off in 2.1.4 and CVS?

From: Turner David
Subject: RE: [Freetype] Tahoma sub-pixel off in 2.1.4 and CVS?
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:30:34 +0100

Hello,

> I've noticed that Tahoma renders badly under my particular setup as
> compared to Windows (XFree86 4.3.0, FreeType 2.1.4 and FreeType CVS,
> fully hinted, bytecode interpreter enabled, RGB sub-pixel).
>
> A comparison graphic is available here:
>
> http://kayalabs.com/images/tahoma.png
>
> The text in the first column is not antialiased; note that
> rendering is identical with Windows XP and with FreeType.
> The text in the right column was rendered using ClearType on Windows
> XP and sub-pixel rendering with FreeType.

Since monochrome text is identical, I suppose that you enabled the
bytecode interpreter. In this case, I can give you an explanation:

  - FreeType, with the bytecode interpreter turned on, doesn't
    change its hinting algorithm when generating sub-pixel optimized
    glyph images. It will produce exactly the same hinted outline,
    but will use a slightly different algorithm to generate the
    RGB bitmaps. So does LibXft on Linux, which adds filtering to
    avoid color-fringes

  - Microsoft's ClearType does use a different hinting algorithm,
    at least in the horizontal dimension, that's why the ClearType
    glyphs often appear blurry at certain sizes, when their "normal"
    anti-aliased counterparts don't. I have no details on what's
    happenning under the hood though. Any ideas are welcomed.

  - FreeType's auto-hinter does change its hinting algorithm
    when rendering sub-pixel RGB glyph images though, and this
    is the result of what you get in "ftview" when pressing the
    "l" key repeatedly. Note that I don't think that libXft uses
    this feature yet, since it depends on an experimental API
    that hasn't been completely declared public yet (i.e.
    FT_LOAD_TARGET_LCD & FT_LOAD_TARGET_LCD_V)

> In general I prefer FreeType's version to ClearType; however,
> there are some problems.  My biggest issues are with 'A' and 'S'; 'A'
> is too bold and 'S' is horizontally splotchy in the center.  '2' and 'K'
> contain
> diagonals which are too thin, and 'a' and 'w' are  particularly noisy as
> well.

I haven't seen your graphics, but I suppose that the problem you're
seeing come from the fact that the TrueType hints of these fonts were
not written for sub-pixel hinting at all. The artefacts you're
seeing are the result of the extreme distortions created by the
bytecode instruction. These are normally not visible with monochrome
or normal anti-aliased rendering. However, sub-pixel rendering uses
a higher resolution and makes certain defects visible.

The same is true of defects that appear in anti-aliased glyphs but
not in monochrome ones.

Hope this helps,

- David Turner

This message and any attachments (the "message") is intended solely for the
addressees and is confidential. If you receive this message in error, please
delete it and immediately notify the sender.
Any use not in accordance with its purpose, any dissemination or disclosure,
either whole or partial, is prohibited except formal approval.
The E-Mail transmission can not guarantee the integrity of this message.
NDS TECHNOLOGIES FRANCE will not therefore be liable for the message if
modified.