freesci-develop

Re: [freesci-develop] cleanup patch

From: Jordi Vilalta
Subject: Re: [freesci-develop] cleanup patch
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:10:55 +0100

Hi,

2009/1/27 Max Horn <address@hidden>:
> [CC'ing Eugene; I think he's on this list, but just in case he's not...]
>
> Am 27.01.2009 um 06:09 schrieb Jordi Vilalta:
>
>> Hi,
>
> [...]
>>
>> The last remaining issue is preparing the FreeSCI tree to fit into
>> ScummVM's SVN (removing useless files, apply code formatting
>> conventions, etc.). This will be done on a separate branch, since it
>> will break the standalone FreeSCI.
>>
>> So briefly we have:
>> 1) split/organize headers
>> 2) make a new branch to prepare the source to fit ScummVM's SVN
>> 3) do the conversion to C++ and use the ScummVM API
>> 4) import the source code into ScummVM's SVN
>>
>> We mainly need advice on 2) and 4) to know what are the requirements
>> we need to achieve. Maybe we could even postpone 3) and work on that
>> after it's been imported into ScummVM's SVN...
>
> All in all your plan seems sensible to me. Though I would strongly suggest
> postponing 3 after 4. This way, your code can be updated with changes to our
> core APIs as they happen, and you don't have to chase after them constantly.
> Also, it opens up the possibility for more people to help, should you desire
> so.

Personally I'd also prefer doing it this way.

> As for step 3: I am not sure whether you have a specific "attack plan". But
> I see that you e.g. have quite some data structures (lists, hashmaps, ...)
> implemented there, which we also have. So it might be best to just replace
> those with our equivalents (if possible/sensible, that is), instead of going
> through the effort of C++ifying those.

Yes, that's what I meant in my prior mail with this sentence: "There
seemed to be agreement that converting it to the ScummVM while doing
the C++ conversion would be faster and probably easier, since we can
benefit from ScummVM's common classes"

Again, this has just been discussed by the ones available on IRC. I'd
specially like to know Christoph's and Lars' opinions on the plan and
the submitted patches.

>> Anyway it looked like a good idea to give Max an account on the Darcs
>> server so he can help us with 1), 2) and eventually also 3 if we
>> decide to do it before moving to ScummVM's SVN.
>
> Fine by me. What do I need to do for that?

I guess you have to talk to Christoph, since he's the one with
greatest privileges on that server.