Re: [pooma-dev] Compile Time Problems and Pooma 2

From: Scott Haney
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] Compile Time Problems and Pooma 2
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 12:23:44 -0600

Hi Dave,

The root problem is that you want to blindly take the output from KCC and use that to guide pre-instantiation. This is certainly the easiest thing from your perspective, but it presents an almost insurmountable problem from our perspective in that we have to guarantee that every template can be instantiated in any possible order. I don't think we can do this in all cases. This means that your tool needs to get slightly smarter to handle the small set of exceptions where order does matter. For the case you're describing, you need to pre-instantiate some stuff from Field before you hit AltView1, etc. I expect that the number of exceptions is quite small and could easily be added to your scripts.

Scott