Re: [pooma-dev] Compile Time Problems and Pooma 2

From: Dave Nystrom
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] Compile Time Problems and Pooma 2
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 12:43:22 -0600 (MDT)

Jeffrey Oldham writes:
 > On Mon, May 28, 2001 at 02:46:58PM -0600, Dave Nystrom wrote:
 > > this last Friday when b18 was virtually idle except for my compiles.  The
 > > stunning result is that I could build either a debug or optimized version
 > > of
 > > the library faster on my 2 year old 366 MHz Pentium 2 laptop with 384
 > > MBytes
 > > of memory than I could on an idle b18 using 16 processors.  I find this
 > > result to be truly stunning.  The majority of the compile time, at least
 > > 90%,
 > > on b18 was spent in the backend C compiler.
 >
 > I am not surprised that a Pentium is faster than b18.  When building
 > gcc, my sequential Linux/Pentium i686 computer runs faster than
 > Nirvana using ten processors.  Starting a new process under Irix seems
 > to be very slow and also the processors are slower.

Oh well, I confess to still being stunned.  When compiling the secure version
of our code which sits on top of Pooma 1, I've been able to beat the time
that I get using my 4 processor Linux box from VALinux which has 500 MHz
processors and 10000 rpm disks and 2 GBytes of ram.  Of course, it was 16
processors versus 4 and b18 did not beat my quad by much.

--
Dave Nystrom                    email: address@hidden
LANL X-3                        phone: 505-667-7913     fax: 505-665-3046