Re: [pooma-dev] Compile Time Problems and Pooma 2

From: Scott Haney
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] Compile Time Problems and Pooma 2
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 07:56:43 -0600

On Tuesday, May 29, 2001, at 05:24 PM, Dave Nystrom wrote:

Scott Haney writes:
As a general principle, we can agree that circular dependencies are bad.
Field is using auxiliary templates that need information from Field.
This problem can be worked around nicely in non-templated C++ code, but
it is difficult to work through with templates. However, maybe, by
re-factoring, this can be fixed. In particular, AltView1 doesn't use
that much of Field. I will give this a shot.

Well, good luck. Sounds like I've opened up a real can of worms. Do you have any comments on the rest of my original email from Sunday or my response to Stephen. I'm particularly interested in whether you think there is much to be gained in terms of reducing the amount of code generated and improving
compile times by revisiting the logical design.

--
Dave Nystrom                    email: address@hidden
LANL X-3                        phone: 505-667-7913     fax: 505-665-3046

Hi Dave,

I have no doubt that we can improve compile times. However, I'm not sure what to make of your numbers. They imply that something strange is happening on the SGI, but that's not really our target platform, so I don't believe that we should spend much time looking into this right now. Our priorities are, as I understand it, to (1) provide core capabilities in order to allow you guys to meet your October deadline and (2) to optimize performance and scalability. I'd put compile time performance in (2), but the contract clearly implies we should focus on run time first. That said, it is worth a little more time to investigate this View preinstantiation issue because it can elucidate some design principles that can be used to reduce the number of template instantiations as we go forward. In the long term, I believe that we may need to provide a tool of some sort to support pre-instantiation, but that is not a job for now.

Scott