Re: [pooma-dev] Compile Time Problems and Pooma 2

From: Dave Nystrom
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] Compile Time Problems and Pooma 2
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 17:24:23 -0600 (MDT)

Scott Haney writes:
 > As a general principle, we can agree that circular dependencies are bad.
 > Field is using auxiliary templates that need information from Field.
 > This problem can be worked around nicely in non-templated C++ code, but
 > it is difficult to work through with templates. However, maybe, by
 > re-factoring, this can be fixed. In particular, AltView1 doesn't use
 > that much of Field. I will give this a shot.

Well, good luck.  Sounds like I've opened up a real can of worms.  Do you
have any comments on the rest of my original email from Sunday or my response
to Stephen.  I'm particularly interested in whether you think there is much
to be gained in terms of reducing the amount of code generated and improving
compile times by revisiting the logical design.

--
Dave Nystrom                    email: address@hidden
LANL X-3                        phone: 505-667-7913     fax: 505-665-3046