Re: [pooma-dev] Compile Time Problems and Pooma 2

From: Scott Haney
Subject: Re: [pooma-dev] Compile Time Problems and Pooma 2
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 14:38:55 -0600

On Tuesday, May 29, 2001, at 02:12 PM, Dave Nystrom wrote:

What I hear you saying is that you don't think you can guarantee that Pooma 2 can be written in a way that guarantees no circular dependencies. Is that really true? I've read books that claim that circular dependencies are bad and indicate deficiencies in the software design. And I confess that I tend to believe them. But I am not sufficiently proficient at C++ software design to make any kind of absolute statements on this topic and as I have indicated I do not know enough about the details of Pooma 2 to really know what you guys are up against when it comes to trying to meet your design goals for Pooma 2. But, I thought that you solved a similar type of problem with the Array class. Did Jeffrey take the same approach that you did with the Array class or is his solution somewhat different? I did not follow his solution
very closely - I was just hoping that you guys would know how to fix the
problem and I could then update my Pooma 2 and continue on with the explicit
instantiation stuff.

Dave,

As a general principle, we can agree that circular dependencies are bad. Field is using auxiliary templates that need information from Field. This problem can be worked around nicely in non-templated C++ code, but it is difficult to work through with templates. However, maybe, by re-factoring, this can be fixed. In particular, AltView1 doesn't use that much of Field. I will give this a shot.

Scott