Re: [fluid-dev] Config files ?

From: Peter Billam
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Config files ?
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 15:58 +1000

Greetings.

David Henningsson wrote:
> In general, the fluidsynth settings system could use some
> thinking/overhaul

Well, in fluidsynth.lua version 1.2
  http://www.pjb.com.au/comp/lua/fluidsynth.html#read_config_file
I've gone for a default config file ~/.config/fluidsynth
  ~> cat ~/.config/fluidsynth
  audio.driver = alsa
  synth.polyphony = 1024
  load /home/soundfonts/MyGM.sf2
  load /home/soundfonts/ReallyGoodPiano.sf2

which, AFAICS, is also useable by
  fluidsynth -f ~/.config/fluidsynth
which seems to safely ignore the first two lines.
If this is not safe, I'd be happy to protect them with a
comment-character, though I didn't see comments documented...

Using fluidsynth.lua, an app would typically read the file with:
  soundfonts = FS.read_config_file(filename)
then start the synth (which inherits the custom settings), then invoke
  FS.sf_load(synth, soundfonts)
which loads MyGM.sf2 and ReallyGoodPiano.sf2
I think most sensible apps would offer a -f option; my testbed is
  http://www.pjb.com.au/midi/fluadity.html

fluidsynth.lua is still early in its lifecycle and I can change
things without worrying much about backward-compatibility,
but I would like to suggest ~/.config/fluidsynth and its
extended-fluidsynth-shell format ...

Regards,  Peter Billam

http://www.pjb.com.au      address@hidden     (03) 6278 9410
"Follow the charge, not the particle."  --  Richard Feynman
 from The Theory of Positrons, Physical Review, 1949