Re: [fluid-dev] Config files ?

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Config files ?
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 11:13:44 +0200

On 2014-08-24 16:34, Stefan Kost wrote:
Am 24.08.2014 05:42, schrieb Peter Billam:
Greetings,

I keep wishing there was some little config file, maybe:
   ~> cat ~/.fluidsynth/config
   audio:
     alsa
   soundfonts:
     /home/soundfonts/MyGM.sf2
     /home/soundfonts/ReallyGoodPiano.sf2

something like that.
(In fact it would almost fit in an environment variable)

Has any other fluidsynth app adopted a config file format
(or environment variable) that I could adopt/reuse/share ?

In general, the fluidsynth settings system could use some thinking/overhaul, as some things you want to do is done by using settings, other things can be done from the shell, and some can be done from both.

I posted this previously. Having a specification where an application should
look for soundfonts would be nice. This could be a fallback-path and an
environment variable (e.g. SF2_PATH). Right now I am have a heuristic in my
code:
https://github.com/Buzztrax/gst-buzztrax/blob/master/src/fluidsynth/fluidsynth.c#L729
https://github.com/Buzztrax/gst-buzztrax/blob/master/src/fluidsynth/fluidsynth.c#L293

In latest git head, there is a "synth.default-soundfont" option.

The fluidsynth executable uses it if you have not specified a midi file but not a soundfont on the command line.

You can also read the default value in your application by creating a settings object and then use fluid_settings_getstr().