Re: [fluid-dev] Re: cmake variables cannot be turned on/off

From: Ebrahim Mayat
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Re: cmake variables cannot be turned on/off
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 12:56:07 -0500

On Nov 14, 2010, at 4:32 AM, David Henningsson wrote:

True or not true - that discussion belongs to fink or cmake lists rather than this one.

Good Day David

I agree. In fact, I was not the one who brought up this topic since this is not an issue for me. The "cmake" message was forwarded as per your instruction Thursday, November 11th.

Just to add to the perspective, and speaking about and to the general audience rather than the two of you:

We do this on our spare time, out of free will, enthusiasm, and interest. This is part of what defines us, and what we are. The amount of personality we put into FluidSynth (and other projects) varies, and I wouldn't recommend a correct amount of "distance", but rather welcome contributions regardless of personality. And if we get happy out of new functionality, bugs fixed, releases and other successes, it is only natural that we get angry or sad when things fail or take more struggling than anticipated. We can't have one without the other.

Well said. I am holding that thought.

So whenever a patch is coming is routed here from someone else, let us help each other to remember to give the proper credit. I know I'm not perfect, feel free to remind me.

You have always been receptive to input from all of us. Your help and direction are appreciated.

Coming back to the origin of this thread, the issue at present is that
neither of the command-line invocations shown below work:

$ cmake .. -DENABLE_PORTAUDIO:BOOL=ON -DENABLE_FRAMEWORK:BOOL=OFF

$ cmake .. -Denable_portaudio=ON -Denable_framework=OFF

I have devised a fix for this by patching the CMakeList.txt file in the top-level directory. This patch can be applied on an ad hoc need-to- do basis or it can be applied directly to svn. Either way, it works for me.

Hmm, in the patch it is spelled enable-portaudio, but above it is enable_portaudio (note the "-" (hyphen) instead of "_" (underscore) between "enable" and "portaudio"). Could this be a simple syntax error?

Yes, my patch worked nevertheless.