Re: [fluid-dev] Re: cmake variables cannot be turned on/off

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Re: cmake variables cannot be turned on/off
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 10:32:13 +0100

On 2010-11-11 13:16, Ebrahim Mayat wrote:
The perception that "fink is hostile to cmake" is, to say the least,
simply not true.

True or not true - that discussion belongs to fink or cmake lists rather than this one.

The expression of frustration as to making cmake work is in no way
personal. Cmake is a build system not a person. It is important that
(dare I say) Pedro takes some distance from his work, not take any
criticisms personally and address issues reported by myself (including
the cmake ones) that are reported with regards to FluidSynth.

Just to add to the perspective, and speaking about and to the general audience rather than the two of you:

We do this on our spare time, out of free will, enthusiasm, and interest. This is part of what defines us, and what we are. The amount of personality we put into FluidSynth (and other projects) varies, and I wouldn't recommend a correct amount of "distance", but rather welcome contributions regardless of personality. And if we get happy out of new functionality, bugs fixed, releases and other successes, it is only natural that we get angry or sad when things fail or take more struggling than anticipated. We can't have one without the other.

The other important thing to note here is that despite nagging problems,
Daniel and I have made cmake work for version 1.1.3 on Snow Leopard and
I would appreciate it if Pedro recognizes this and all the other
contributions made to the FluidSynth project by various members (myself
included) of fink.

So whenever a patch is coming is routed here from someone else, let us help each other to remember to give the proper credit. I know I'm not perfect, feel free to remind me.

Coming back to the origin of this thread, the issue at present is that
neither of the command-line invocations shown below work:

$ cmake .. -DENABLE_PORTAUDIO:BOOL=ON -DENABLE_FRAMEWORK:BOOL=OFF

$ cmake .. -Denable_portaudio=ON -Denable_framework=OFF

I have devised a fix for this by patching the CMakeList.txt file in the
top-level directory. This patch can be applied on an ad hoc need-to-do
basis or it can be applied directly to svn. Either way, it works for me.

Hmm, in the patch it is spelled enable-portaudio, but above it is enable_portaudio (note the "-" (hyphen) instead of "_" (underscore) between "enable" and "portaudio"). Could this be a simple syntax error?