Re: [fluid-dev] callbacks

From: Jari Suominen
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] callbacks
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2010 22:41:06 +0200

David Henningsson wrote:
On 2010-11-14 02:34, Element Green wrote:
On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 5:28 AM, David Henningsson<address@hidden>
- Voice playback pointer querying

The 1.1.2 engine currently makes it hard to read anything that is changeable
by rendering. I'm not saying it's impossible though, we could add atomic
stuff that updates the playback pointer (and perhaps other stuff as well). I
would like to do that configurable though in order to get maximum
performance from use cases that does not need this functionality.

The other option would be that you do this yourself from the rendering
thread, but then you would have to hook into the audio driver and you'll
have to be careful in order to avoid underruns.

I don't think it is possible though to get access to a single voice's
current sample playback position, even if handling the rendering, from
the public API though.  Or am I overlooking something?

You're correct, this is more of a discussion on how such a thing could/should be implemented.

Yep, for me having a callback or a way to poll whether voice has reached its end plus some way to get the playback position would be ultimate addition to API as it would give me a method to visualize the state of audio engine back to GUI. I'm thinking about stuff like using devices like Launchpad with applications built on top of fluidsynth.

But also I meant to ask whether adding stuff like this to API of fluidsynth makes sense from project perspective. As the application I'm working on isn't most typical fluidsynth app. But then again looking from MVC point of view, I think stuff like this would make sense even if you would be developing even the most simple front end to fluidsynth.

I think that even with current API I should be able to get some results with get_voicelist, but am a bit confused from where I should call it to make sure that everything works as it should thread-safety-wise?

Best,