distribution and packaging (Was: Re: Themes (again))

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: distribution and packaging (Was: Re: Themes (again))
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 14:27:51 +0200

Hi,

Liam Proven wrote:
On 27 September 2013 16:21, Xavier Brochard <xavier@alternatif.org> wrote:
I mean "like others do" :  release a set of tarball files and a few
instructions to setup.
*Tarballs*? Seriously?!
do you mean source tarballs? those we have.. .and building is up to you. Except perhaps the core system which requires tweaking, all the rest is a matter of configure && make install or even just make install.

Binary distribution shall be done by the provided package system of your OS. Linux, BSD and Solaris all have a variety of "packages". Inside there is a tarball or a zip, but you get all the dependency tracking.

In the long-term, in the view of the possibility of having a "Gnustep dedicated distribution", GAP plans to have an installer. Something was sketched out, nothing implemented. It is jus tlow priority, it is much bettter to integrate in other distributions.
No. Not tarballs. That is the last thing that we want to be doing. Not
in 2013. In 1993, yes; in 1998, maybe.

No, any current distro has package management, automatic dependency
resolution, etc. This helps, and tarballs completely break it and
leave a distro that cannot be upgraded or even maintained.

We have .deb packages and a SUSE VM image.
The SUSE VM image has RPMs, I guess Richard S. could easily provide the used packages.

The ideal thing would be to have the various distributions package gnustep properly, but that might be a lost war. OpenBSD and FreeBSD are to my knowledge in a usable shape. We might want to provide "our" repositories for the major distributions.

Perhaps packages for the big 3 distros - Ubuntu, Fedora and SUSE. That
covers 75% or so of FOSS Unix users. Either for the current version
only, or perhaps in the case of Ubuntu, the current stable version.

With modest work, it is possible to produce packages that will install
on both Ubuntu and Debian - that would be best of all.
I regularly test against Debian, that should assure things working on Ubuntu. Hoever my setup (and this is true for all systems I test my GNUstep software on) is: - all dependencies which are provided by packages are installed with packages (this is usually true on ALL system, at most, I configure without an option, e.g. TLS or ICU) - gnustep core, developer and user application and sources, etc are installed from source

This setup helps me to "proof" my apps and to test the operating system. If sometething in the final distribution packages works worse than for me, it is a packaging and/or config problem.

I test this way currently:
- NetBSD 6 x86-32 on two system, one with gcc and one with clang / NetBSD 2 on sparc-32 with gcc
- FreeBSD 8 with gcc4 standard, FreeBSD 9 with clang all on x86-32
- OpenBSD with gcc on x86-32
- Linux Gentoo on x86-32 and -x86-64
- Linux Debian on x86-32
- Linux Debian on ppc-32
- Solaris 10 on sparc v9 and gcc 4.8 (software and compiler by OpenCSW)

I also have an older laptop where I install debian packages of most software and where I used to test applications against "release", so that packagers had an easier job. However, debian packages are so merciless outdated that no software will run (gorm decoding problems) thus I sadly stopped this practice, which helped finding more than one incomaptibility.

Currently these setups work all quite reasonably, compared to some time ago, we improved our portability, especially in base!
I used to test but currently the machine is broken or gnustep is broken:
- Debian / HURD (machine broken, I hope to setup it again. GS used to work fine 2 years ago, a couple of months ago at the last run it was very very unstable) - Solaris 8: machine works, I have patches, I fail to link/run stuff, must be a configuration problem - IRIX/mips R4k4, R10k ... problems with gcc, ffcall/libffi, gave up, although I'd love to get it working again and test on MIPS, I used to have a nice MIPS netbook with linux
- more strange and obsolete stuff

As you see, a quite wide range of setups which help testing, find portability bugs and prove that the quality of our frameworks and application is constantly improving. GAP stuff really got better by all this testing, as much as people hate me when I find bugs in obscure platforms.
I have been experimentally building minimal Ubuntu & Debian systems
with a GNUstep desktop built purely from the packages in those distros
for a couple of years now. It works reasonably well, but I found
GWorkspace too unstable to use - it dies continually, seldom running
for as long as 10-15 minutes, and when it goes it takes all GNUstep
apps with it.
This is very strange. I use GWorkspace daily. Which version are you using? I hope not the debian packages: they are so old that it is a shame (3 releases behind), the bug fixed since that release is enormous. If you are instead running the latest release or even a snapshot of current, the matter needs to be investigating. GWorkspace is close to a new release.
I would strongly advocate Ubuntu - it is by far the most widely-used
Linux now, it has freeware proprietary addins (unlike Fedora) and is
relatively small and simple (unlike SUSE). It is very easy to strip
down to a bare system - just start with Ubuntu Server, which has no X
or anything preloaded. Ubuntu's hardware support and support for
proprietary addins is considerably better than Debian; to get Debian
fully working on my hardware took 48h of concentrated work and I never
got my sound card working. Ubuntu took 90min. In my fairly extensive
experience, this can be regarded as typical.
I used to advocate Debian, luckily I never had trouble installing on my hardware, although their policy of firmware makes things tough. I don't like what Ubuntu is doing to the desktop and their ambiguous relationship. But debian just apparently broke the sound on my test-laptop.. it tells me to install a certain firmware package which isn't there, it is a pain. Firmware support is getting worse and worse for opensource (check FreeBSD, NetBSD video drivers...) there is no care, people are fine with windows and their android tablets. FOSS seems to be off its peak without ever having it reached :(

Anyway, I hope that by testing against debian and supporting debian, ubuntu shall work too.

Riccardo