Re: Is GNUstep really cross platform? (was: FW: GNUstep on MS Windows (O

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Is GNUstep really cross platform? (was: FW: GNUstep on MS Windows (Oh boy...i've done it now!))
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 16:01:12 -0800

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 00:15:08 +0100
Philip Mötteli <Philip.Moetteli@tele2.ch> wrote:
> Am 04.12.2003 um 23:43 schrieb Chris B. Vetter:
[...]
> > I'm not so sure Apple introduced those changes.
> We have to look at the official OpenStep definition. This is the point
> of reference.

That's the point. As far as I remember, OpenStep doesn't 'define'
NSSocketPort, as it's an introduction made by Apple. Therefor, as far as
I'm concerned, Apple's implementation is correct.

> > These are not just slightly different, as the NSData is a wrapper
> > around the receiver's socket address structure, while the NSString
> > is the actual address in dotted notation...
> This is nasty, but a problem, that could be solved.
> I never said, that everything is just compilable 1:1 on all platforms.

True, but you need to *know* about it, and be prepared to come up with a
fix. And that is, with respect to method _arguments_ counterproductive.

I can understand why you would have to work on internals (eg. Linux
doesn't have struct sockaddr_in's sin_len member, so you have to #ifdef
around it. Same is true for including headers) but NOT for method names
and arguments of Foundation and AppKit. Those should be identical.

--
Chris