RE: GNUstep on MS Windows

From: Vaisburd, Haim
Subject: RE: GNUstep on MS Windows
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 16:02:19 -0800

Chris Hanson <cmh@mac.com> wrote:

> I think an SWT-like approach using native Windows controls wherever
> possible would be the best idea, and probably be the most future-proof
> as well.

I still have some doubts...

First, is that feasible at all, i.e. can the application
substantially change its look and feel _automatically_ and remain
good looking and sensibly behaving? I suspect manual interaction
will have to take place.

Second, a native Window app is going to loose some unique features
of NeXT and certain part of its beauty.

When I deal with a port, I personally prefer it to be as close
to the original application as possible. I would rather sacrifice
"nativeness" to already learned (and loved) features.

With SWT-like approach, I think, we'll get yet another Windows development
environment in Objective-C with DO. This is quite sound, too, but not the
best possible apps and user experience any more.

Do we need to spend the efforts on this now?

And do we need to concentrate on Windows at all, even with pixel-to-pixel
approach? GNUstep is incomplete on Linux.

My 0.02c.
Cheers,
Tima.