Re: Is GNUstep really cross platform? (was: FW: GNUstep on MS Windows (O

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Is GNUstep really cross platform? (was: FW: GNUstep on MS Windows (Oh boy...i've done it now!))
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 14:43:04 -0800

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 23:27:47 +0100
Philip Mötteli <Philip.Moetteli@tele2.ch> wrote:
> Am 04.12.2003 um 23:06 schrieb Chris B. Vetter:
> > On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 22:55:14 +0100
> > Philip Mötteli <Philip.Moetteli@tele2.ch> wrote:
> >> 2. GS already offers a lot of compatibility functions. Just use
> >those> functions and they will automagically compile on both
> >platforms.
> > Assuming you're talking about Classes and Class Methods here rather
> > than actual functions,
> No, we were talking about the runtime. There are only functions, no
> objects (apart from metaobjects), so no methods. You misunderstood
> that.

Yes, with respect to the actual runtime, you are right.

> > MUST keep in mind that some of the methods differ with respect to
> > the arguments passed on, arguments returned, and in some rare
> > occasions even
> > their name.
> I know, that Apple changed some little things. But so far, this hasn't
> been a problem. For that, we have some categories to remain
> compatible. Hopefully this doesn't become worse...

I'm not so sure Apple introduced those changes. Take NSSocketPort as an
example:

Apple's implementation uses

  - (NSData *) address

while GNUstep uses

  - (NSString *) address

These are not just slightly different, as the NSData is a wrapper around
the receiver's socket address structure, while the NSString is the
actual address in dotted notation...

--
Chris