classpathx-discuss

[Classpathx-discuss] Re: LibxmlJ formalities

From: Julian Scheid
Subject: [Classpathx-discuss] Re: LibxmlJ formalities
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 00:26:34 +0100

Tom Tromey wrote:
"Julian" == Julian Scheid <address@hidden> writes:

Julian> But LibxmlJ works fine for Gjdoc, it's fast as hell compared
Julian> to Xalan, and AFAICT it's the only way to wrap the latest
Julian> JAXP-only Gjdoc into an executable, because Xalan doesn't play
Julian> nicely with gcj.

There's a version of Xalan in rhug (so it must be compilable with
gcj).  I don't follow this stuff too closely.  Is that an older
version or something?

First of all, note that I am aware of gcj's bytecode compilation modus
operandi, but with 'compiling with gcj' I generally intend to say
native compilation. Bytecode vs native compilation may be the reason
why it works in rhug and doesn't work for me.

Also I didn't try that hard to get Xalan running, so my statement may
have been a little rash. I have only tried to add xalan.jar to the gcj
command line, and to use Xalan bytecode via a ClassLoader from a gcj-
compiled executable, both of which failed.

But meanwhile I learned that gcj generally doesn't work well when fed
jars, and generally _does_ work well when fed only .java source codes.
This may be key. And maybe I can also learn something from the rhug
Makefiles.

Can you point me to more information on gcj's handling of sources,
classes and jars specified on the command line? The gcc docs are a
little sparse on Java-specific details.

Julian