bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] feature request, new stable version planned

From: Frédéric Devernay
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] feature request, new stable version planned
Date: Fri, 18 May 2012 16:39:03 +0200

Hello,

* On the comparison with stereoscopic player (and perhaps Peter Wimmer is
listening on this list):
- stereoscopic player is very fast, has low CPU/GPU requirements, is very
versatile, but it only runs on a single OS, and this probably won't ever
change, because it heavily uses MFCs, DirectX, and other proprietary stuff.
Peter told me he's never port it to something elese
- bino is cross-platform! that's its main advantage, especially for Mac or
Linux users
- bino is open-source, and that's also a great advantage, because it can be
customized at will! you want a new feature? just implement it!
- in the mean time, other video players will probably gain stereo support, but
Bino will probably always have the most exotic (I mean stereo-specific)
features.

* On asking for new features
for those people who desperately want new features but don't know how to code,
just put a feature request on the bug tracker, and someday it may be coded.
Maybe we could propose a google SoC project. Or maybe we could have a bino
moneybox, you put some money in it for some specific feature, and when someone
wants to get the money, he/she implements that feature. I'm pretty sure that
some of the professional users out there would actually pay for features. Or
companies could contribute new features (as Binocle did with SDI output - check
it out at Dimension3 in Paris in June).

* And now, about the flip-flop request:
- I agree that this is an important feature for stereographers, especially
those who go out with their mac for derushing, and don't want to reboot just to
have stereoscopic player
- And the best thing is that it's not that complicated to implement: two
pulldown menus in a dialog box, those settings would be linked to the video
being played, and all we have to change (I think) is the texture coordinates
for the source texture (we have to be careful about interlaced sources). It
just takes time (probably about 1 or 2 days with testing).

fred