Re: [Adonthell-devel] New Windows test

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] New Windows test
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 23:23:48 +0200

On 10 Apr 2002 21:44:42 +0200 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> Be sure to take the development package for mingw32 (there is one on
> SDL's site, AFAIK), and use mingw32 instead of cygwin. Cygwin
> shouldn't be use if you don't need it's huge library - and we don't.
> SDL should also compile with mingw32, at least zlib will certainly! :)

Yeah. I've installed the mingw-SDL and compiled zlib 1.1.4 myself. The
binary ran without crashing, but the behaviour was just the same as
reported by JT (even though I did not compile the newest wintest).
Here's the output:

Starting
[...]
drawable::set_length called on mem. reference 7994344
surface cleared
image cleared
image size will be 224x49
so I'll ask to read 21952 bytes
allocated memory for raw data
get_block: I was requested to read 21952 bytes
get_block: and I've actually read 5132
read raw data from file
image::raw2display
My mem.reference: 7994344
drawable::set_length called on mem. reference 7994344
creating format RGB surface
converting to display format
freeing temporary surface
image::raw2display finished
raw data converted to screen format
freed raw data buffer
get successfull
igzstream closed
Image loaded: 224x49
Saving image
Image saved
Image destructor called
My mem.reference: 7994344

The problem with reading the image remains, but at least the memory
corruption isn't occuring. It's weird. I programmed quite a lot under
windows back in the days and never had any problems with reading from
files. Of course, back then I did not use cygwin or mingw32.

> I think your make error comes from a buggy or obsolete version of sed
> that comes with Cygwin. Back in my Cygwin days I had the same problem,
> I hope they fixed it with recent releases at least!

That could be the case. Although I thought my distro was pretty recent.
Not older than a couple of months.