Re: [Adonthell-devel] Some map engine fresh meat!

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Some map engine fresh meat!
Date: 04 Apr 2002 21:37:57 +0200

> > FINALLY! I've found the correct display heuristics! Now there
> > shouldn't be any display problem (including the shadow that was
> > awfully handled). It should also be quite fast, even though nothing is
> > optimized and there are only a few objects. Please have some tests! :)
> >

> Yes, it feels faster than before, though CPU is still at 100% on the
> good ol' P200 ;).

You mean it RUNS on the P200? What are you complaining about then? As
rendering is 100% software done, with heavy buffer copies, it takes 100%
as well on my Athlon! (although I might have a few more fps ;))

This is good news anyway, as it might indicate that Adonthell could make
it on PDAs too, especially in 320x240. I'm trying to get a Zaurus
Sl-5500, but it's very hard to buy one of these jewels in Europe. As
soon as I can get one, I'll give some effort to get Adonthell to run on
it (shouldn't be hard, as both SDL and Python already works ;))

> > > When jumping while pressing an arrow key, the velocity in that
> > > direction should be increased, so that you can jump further.
> >
> > Why not, but why though? You mean making the character going faster
> > when he jumps?
>
> Actually, I'd like to see him jump further. (By making him faster,
> that'll happen automatically). I think basically there are two types of
> jumps: trying to jump up somewhere. You'd do that while standing still
> and the character should jump high. Or trying to jump over, say a gorge,
> in which case the jump should be longer (and not so high). The simplest
> way to distinguish between both occasions seems to be to check whether a
> direction key is pressed or not. If not, we should assume the player
> wants to jump high/climb up somewhere, otherwise he wants to jump over
> some obstacle.

Yeah, I see your point. Don't know how that'd feel at gameplay level,
but we can try that way. Of course, the current jumping behavior is
nothing more but something to test the collisions.

> > Not sure what you mean here. You mean climbing à la Tomb Raider? :)
>
> Exactly :). Never mind if it's too complicated. (I already hear Ben
> groaning about the additional animations otherwise.)

I do hear him as well ;) I propose we don't worry too much about that
for now - we could still use this idea later anyway.

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org