Re: [Adonthell-devel] Some map engine fresh meat!

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Some map engine fresh meat!
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 21:26:49 +0200

On 04 Apr 2002 20:19:43 +0200 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> FINALLY! I've found the correct display heuristics! Now there
> shouldn't be any display problem (including the shadow that was
> awfully handled). It should also be quite fast, even though nothing is
> optimized and there are only a few objects. Please have some tests! :)

Yes, it feels faster than before, though CPU is still at 100% on the
good ol' P200 ;).

> > When jumping while pressing an arrow key, the velocity in that
> > direction should be increased, so that you can jump further.
>
> Why not, but why though? You mean making the character going faster
> when he jumps?

Actually, I'd like to see him jump further. (By making him faster,
that'll happen automatically). I think basically there are two types of
jumps: trying to jump up somewhere. You'd do that while standing still
and the character should jump high. Or trying to jump over, say a gorge,
in which case the jump should be longer (and not so high). The simplest
way to distinguish between both occasions seems to be to check whether a
direction key is pressed or not. If not, we should assume the player
wants to jump high/climb up somewhere, otherwise he wants to jump over
some obstacle.

> > And when jumping next
>
> > to a platform, perhaps the character should be able to grab the edge
> > of the platform and draw himself onto that platform.
>
> Not sure what you mean here. You mean climbing à la Tomb Raider? :)

Exactly :). Never mind if it's too complicated. (I already hear Ben
groaning about the additional animations otherwise.)