Re: [Adonthell-devel] Some map engine fresh meat!

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Some map engine fresh meat!
Date: 02 Apr 2002 22:14:29 +0200

I've continued that a little bit.

There is now a true control of where you can and can't go. That is, you
cannot jump through platforms anymore, you cannot go below platforms
that block you, etc!

Get http://www.gnurou.org/adonthell-stuff/alextest.tgz, untar it as
usual in your src directory, get the latest CVS and enjoy! The jump key
has been mapped to E and the joystick second button. James, I hope
you'll soon be back 'cause you are going to enjoy it! (and after all, it
was YOUR idea, back in August ;))

Screenshots available at http://www.gnurou.org/adonthell-stuff/shot1.png
and http://www.gnurou.org/adonthell-stuff/shot2.png

I've placed some pillars so you can estimate the height of the platforms
correctly.

Improved stuff includes projecting the shadow on the platform the
character will fall on, allowing you to aim correctly - however due to a
display bug (the order of some objects are inverted if an object is too
high) it won't always be displayed properly, as well as some pillars.
Note that there are two pillars mapobjects, as for now I've disabled
offset placements. It'll be soon back anyway.

The interesting thing to test too is the "stairs" that are at the bottom
of the map. Walk on them, and you'll see you can "climb" them naturally.
Of course, due to the square-limited tests, the stairs doesn't look
abrupt - but once we can perform pixel-size height, we'll be able to do
real ones. How does it work? Each moving object has a "climb" factor,
that is, all denivellation inferior to this factor will be climbed
without any other action.

Well, going to fix the remaining bugs and stabilize the stuff a bit, and
we could say we have the new map engine basics. Step after that will
include more funny things, like detecting intersections in order to be
able to do the water effect, for example.

Have fun!
Alex.

PS: got some news from Joel. He'll soon be back! :)
--
http://www.gnurou.org