Re: [Adonthell-devel] Some map engine fresh meat!

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] Some map engine fresh meat!
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2002 13:14:20 +0200

On 02 Apr 2002 22:14:29 +0200 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> I've continued that a little bit.
>
> There is now a true control of where you can and can't go. That is,
> you cannot jump through platforms anymore, you cannot go below
> platforms that block you, etc!

That's very cool! It'll give a very realistic feel to our world, I'd
say.

There must be a minor bug somewhere though. Two times I got stuck when
trying to walk under a platform that was to low. I couldn't move in any
direction. Instead I could jump onto the platform.

> Well, going to fix the remaining bugs and stabilize the stuff a bit,
> and we could say we have the new map engine basics. Step after that
> will include more funny things, like detecting intersections in order
> to be able to do the water effect, for example.

That's something I'm looking forward to as well.

Finally, here are some thoughts on the current stuff:

When jumping while pressing an arrow key, the velocity in that direction
should be increased, so that you can jump further. And when jumping next
to a platform, perhaps the character should be able to grab the edge of
the platform and draw himself onto that platform.

Apart from that, it's almost perfect. We'll finally are able to do
proper stairs and lots of other nifty things!